Monday, April 11, 2011

Goodwill find

My kids brought home some artwork that they have done this year at school. They were so good, I wanted to be able to display some around our home.

I went by the local Goodwill store here in town to look and see what I could find.

I came across this framed picture. First thing I looked at was the price. 6 bucks. I could handle that. It also had a mat which was pink...matched my daughter's artwork and it had the glass still in it.

It was a pretty sad looking picture, I do have to say. Sorry if you are the one who took it to GW...but I guess you thought so too!

So I got her artwork out and it wasn't quite wide enough to fit behind the mat. Plus the mat was glued right to the picture. So I decided that I would paint over the picture that was in there with a white acrylic paint. While I was painting the white, I took a closer look at the mat. It probably used to be the correct color of pink...but time had made it fade and it looked pretty dingy. I didn't worry about getting the white on the mat after that.
It took several coats to cover it completely. I didn't actually paint the whole picture, I just made sure that the edges were fully covered.
This is the picture when I was done and after I went over the mat with some pink that I had. It looked much better!
I used double sided tape to attach her artwork to the picture.
I then spray painted the frame black. I love her self-portrait. I thought it turned out pretty cute for $6!

No comments:

Post a Comment